Below is an excerpt that falls under the comment “Rephrase (Not Clear).”
You may access the comment by clicking on the “R” category or by typing the title into the search box.
You may print the excerpt for class discussions.
In the sample excerpt, the student inserts terms and applies contemporary thinking to words that potentially have a different meaning within another context. Let’s read.
It can be said that even though “The Wyf of Bathe” has presented such extreme confidence, there still seems to be a gap in her character and her thinking. That is the funny thing about philosophy, because it leaves one susceptible to contradiction even in an unaware state and it follows that even though there is a goal for independence, it’s only acquired through dependence and opposition in disguise.
Figure 54: Essay Excerpt on “The Wyf of Bathe”
The student doesn’t provide definitions/details about particular terms she uses within the context of both the essay and the literary work.
1) What can be said? What is the it?
2) What is the gap in her character? Does the “gap” relate somehow to her “ironic” behavior?
3) What is an “unaware” state?
4) Who sets the goal for independence?
5) How is dependence and opposition both disguises?
1) Refer to the literary text.
2) Correct and repair assumptions within the student’s text.
3) Add textual evidence to validate your claims.
Copyright 2011 Regina Y. Favors. All Rights Reserved.