Below is an excerpt that falls under the comment “Sentence Sense.”
You may access the comment by clicking on the “S” category or by typing the title into the search box.
You may print the excerpt for class discussions.
Examine the following sample excerpt where the student attempts to use elevated language to describe the ideas the author expresses within the work.
The inequality of nature, whether racial, gender-based, certain beliefs or religious, has held up to personal opinions as well as professional.
Figure 62: Essay Excerpt on Ortega Y. Gasset
1) What is the “inequality of nature?”
2) What is nature?
3) What are nature’s inequalities?
4) Is “race” or “racial” considered to be an inequality?
5) How is “gender-based” an inequality?
6) What do the personal opinions and professional opinions have to do with the inequality of nature?
1) Reread Gasset’s work.
2) Answer the questions (above) based upon your understanding of the work.
3) Revise and expand the student’s analysis.
Copyright 2011 Regina Y. Favors. All Rights Reserved.